Staff & Board
Jobs & Internships
2017-2018 Campus Organizer Program
Get Email Updates
|Home > About Us|
2017-2018 Campus Organizer Program
2017-2018 Campus Organizer Internship
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation (NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation), a statewide non-profit pro-choice organization and affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America, seeks part-time Campus Organizers from colleges and universities across North Carolina to lead organizing efforts on their respective campuses.
In 2017, NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation is partnering with Advocates for Youth, a nationwide sexual and reproductive health advocacy nonprofit, to engage students with their 1 in 3 Campaign on campuses across North Carolina. As a Campus Organizer for NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation, students will work directly on 1 in 3 Campaign activities. The 1 in 3 Campaign seeks to reduce abortion stigma and elevate storytelling as an effective tool in the reproductive rights movement - find out more about Advocates for Youth and the 1 in 3 Campaign here.
Campus Organizer Responsibilities:
- Serve on NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation's statewide Youth Leadership Council with other student organizers from campuses across North Carolina
- Host activities related to NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation and the 1 in 3 Campaign on your college campus and throughout the community (examples include: tabling, movie screenings, Days/Weeks of Action, social media campaigns, panel discussions, brown-bag lunches, abortion storytelling events, petitions, etc.)
- Create curated media such as op-eds, blog posts, vlogs, videos, pictures, or media interviews to be shared on our social media pages and websites
- Build support for NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation and the 1 in 3 Campaign on your campus by assembling a team of fellow student activists and partnering with other relevant student organizations to carry out events, etc.
- Stay in consistent communication with NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation's Advocacy & Organizing Manager through weekly virtual check-ins via phone or Skype and weekly planning forms
- Attend statewide Youth Leadership Council meetings and any NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation/Advocates for Youth trainings as necessary in the Raleigh/Durham area (NARAL Pro-Choice NC Foundation will cover all travel expenses)
- Other duties as needed
- Knowledge of and commitment to reproductive rights and support and enthusiasm for NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation and Advocates for Youth's missions
- Experience with community, campus, and/or political organizing is preferred
- An understanding of your campus' culture and political climate, particularly in regard to reproductive health and rights
- Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills
- Experience using a variety of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, WordPress, etc.); experience using these platforms for advocacy campaigns is preferred
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends; statewide travel occasionally necessary for Youth Leadership Council convenings and trainings
Time Commitment and Compensation:
- Campus Organizers will receive a semesterly stipend for their work.
- Because of the nature of organizing, work hours will fluctuate, but Campus Organizers should expect to commit to approximately 8 hours of work per week.
- The Campus Organizer internship runs for the entirety of the 2017-2018 academic year (from late August-early December in Fall 2017, and late January-early Mary in Spring 2018) In your application materials, please indicate that you understand the length of the internship and can commit to organizing on your campus for both semesters in the 2017-2018 academic year.
To apply for the Campus Organizer internship, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with "Campus Organizer" in the subject line. Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are accepted on a rolling basis.
Applicants who live outside of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area are strongly encouraged to apply.
In your cover letter, in addition to generally describing your interest in reproductive rights and relevant skills, please also address the following questions:
- Describe your experience in anti-oppression work and work surrounding issues of equality. How do you see civic and cultural advocacy as a tool in achieving a more inclusive and intersectional sexual health and reproductive rights movement?
- What are some ideas you have to cary out a campaign to destigmatize abortion on your campus?
- What campus organizations/resources do you have connections to that could help you roll out this campaign on your campus?
Please feel free to contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Campus Organizer internship.
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.